Monday, March 12, 2012

Awhile back, on a long train ride somewhere, I was flipping through an English language edition of Mao’s Quotations (“The Little Red Book”). These souvenirs are sold throughout China in different languages and, although I’d bought copies before as fun little gifts to bring back home, I’d never bothered to read any of them for the sustained length of time that a train ride provides.

For most of my time in China, I have been mentally compiling a growing list of negative observations, not the least of which is what I perceive to be a lack of accountability present through its society: Get caught cheating on an exam? But it’s a misunderstanding. Painters spackle the table and floor because they couldn’t be bothered to use the drop cloth crumpled in the corner? But your ceiling and walls are painted. Poisoning food, water, and air? But China is a developing country. At its best, experiencing this is frustrating; but to register no reaction at all would be to give in to a minor form of apathy all too easily expanded to the major kind.

As I read the book’s opening pages, I couldn’t help but notice that, almost immediately, the concept of “self-criticism” as an important aspect of Marxism-Leninism came up (Chapter 27 is, in fact, devoted to this general topic). I’ve heard stories, although not so much about teenaged Red Guards flipping everything on its collective head, dunce cap clad unfortunates publicly denounced, et cetera. Rather, what little I’ve heard is less spectacularly destructive but still damaging: families paying daily homage to Mao’s picture and reciting passages from his Quotations. Some possibly did so because they bought into it, some because they were told to, and some because they were afraid of what would happen if they didn’t. Just the same, as I read out of boredom what these people had read for very different reasons, I began to think.

I do not consider the Chinese to be a stupid people. I do consider the Chinese to be a pragmatic one. How many true believers would there have been (legitimate or brainwashed doesn’t matter) paying homage and reciting? And how many would have been just paying a literal and mindless lip service? From my own limited experience and observation here, I’m of the opinion that that particular see-saw would have come crashing down pretty fast on the side of the latter if it ever got off the ground at all. And I wondered at how much resentfulness this would have caused.

For every negative conclusion that I draw about China, I try to maintain some sort of hope that something will turn up to disprove my opinion but, as time has gone on, I have begun to entertain the idea that I myself may be paying a sort of lip service to this wish. Yet, reading Mao’s book that night, I was encouraged to have possibly been hit with at least one refutation in the form of an entire generation indoctrinated with enough self-criticism to last a lifetime, then finally cut loose from its forced accountability. And that generation, liberated from this particular type of dogma, then having brought forth its own children – who learned from their parents a reflexive insincerity and a permanent resentfulness against being blamed for anything – sent them to continue on in the established path. Should I judge these people so harshly? I don’t know. What I do know is that, reading “The Little Red Book” on the train that night, I saw a glimmer – justified or not – of where their lack of accountability may have come from. And despite all of the negativity that helped to bring this out, I felt then a tenuous and fleeting empathy with them.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting essay. Do you think that the fact that China thru the centuries has been ruled, rather than governed, by a succession of overlords of one form or another, the Cultural Revolution being the most recent, has led to the docile, unquestioning attitude in its people. The lack of accountability and general indifference to criticism may be a manifestation of their belief that it just doesn't matter since nothing is going to change because it has always been that way. RM

3:04 AM, March 13, 2012  
Blogger Matt said...

At the risk of stereotyping, let me try to respond:

For what I know of China's history (not much, but the more recent stuff - say through part of the Qing Dynasty - is okay) I think that China has been ruled in a similar way: by a centralized government telling everyone what they had to do. I get the impression that, going back further, it's a similar story.

I don't consider the people to be docile towards the government so much as more or less apathetic towards it. There will be reaction if it hits home - literally, but if it doesn't, people seem more interested in their own pastimes.

As far as being indifferent to criticism, I wasn't trying to say that at all. I get the impression that the Chinese are intensely resentful towards criticism, to the point where a certain level of amorality has taken hold: it's wrong only if you get caught and even then a typical approach is to deny, deny, deny as the resentment builds up towards whoever had the gall to put you into that face losing situation.

As far as the thought that it doesn't matter because nothing's going to change. Yes, that may be the mentality.

12:00 AM, March 14, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking more of their unquestioning acceptance of rules no matter how inconvenient and trivial, e.g. not riding their bikes on campus. In the US it seems that no mandated initiative goes unchallenged e,g, seatbelts, text nessaging etc. on the local level and Health Care on the National level. My perception of the Chinese psyche always goes back to the fact that Japan defeated China in WW2. To me it defines their passivity despite all their posturing to the contrary. RM

12:23 AM, March 17, 2012  
Blogger Matt said...

I think, with the Chinese, it's more a disregard of rules, unless there's someone or something there to hold them to it. For example, there are anti-pollution rules and regulations, but they're not enforced very well. This goes back to the highly centralized government, which has been the case for hundreds of years.

As you might expect, the further away you get from the power base - Beijing, an instructor checking ID's, a person looking over a contractor's shoulder, the harder it is to reach whatever the goal is. In that way, maybe I should hand it to Mao if he actually did have most of the country paying him homage - even if it may have been insincere, at least the lip service was paid.

As for the Japanese, that's another in a consistent string of bad showings, along with the Opium Wars, Treaty Ports, the Boxer Rebellion, and the little border dust up with Vietnam. There are probably some others that I can't remember off of the top of my head.

Maybe passivity has something to do with it. I also chalk it up to inflexibility...an inability to adapt and learn from mistakes.

5:21 PM, March 17, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home