Thursday, January 22, 2009


I usually have big plans for Christmas that, over my time in China, usually reach their internal crescendo in the high heat of the summer and then gradually cool until finally manifesting themselves in the lit, decorated artificial tree standing in the corner of my living room…and not much else. And so, this past Christmas day I went to Carrefour – the French equivalent to Wal*Mart – near where I live. It had a Christmas aisle with trees, decorations, lights, and goofy little novelty items (Santa Claus playing the sax, etc.) for sale. I liked it here; it reminded me, just a little bit, of my Christmases in America, visiting the big Woolworth’s in downtown Boston or my neighborhood Walgreen’s, where I used to find unusual, previously unimagined seasonal things (a propeller driven Santa Claus riding a flying reindeer comes to mind). A few aisles down from this one was the Chinese New Year section full of traditional lanterns, good luck placards, and tassels, all in bright red shades. I spent some time there, also. I can never remember doing this before. It might have been the lit red lanterns hanging in the windows by the escalators, or it may have been the cashiers, now no longer in their blue smocks (and little elf hats) but, instead, traditionally patterned and designed ones that got me into the mood.

For a long time – since my first December in Nanjing – I’ve been trying to figure out what Christmas is all about in China. It’s popular, to be sure. Snowflakes, trees, lights, Santa Claus, lots of shopping and get-togethers on Christmas Eve, a long, drawn out SRO Midnight Mass…but I could never quite put my finger on it. I had always thought that it was purely commercial...until the Sunday after this past Christmas. I was looking for a late gift…something seasonal, so I went back to Carrefour and my little aisle. It had been there on the 26th but, when I came to where it should have been now, all that I saw were shiny new frying pans on the shelves. There wasn’t a single, solitary trace of what had been there before. Nothing. Not even a loose piece of tinsel. It was like the Grinch had passed through in the night and cleaned the place out. I understood then that Christmas was OVER in China. I should have known this, of course. But the completeness of its exit still rocked me. I absently wandered over to the Chinese New Year aisle, now even more fully stocked and with more browsers than I’d seen earlier. I even bought a few things myself. Walking back to my place afterwards, fireworks blasted off – more so than usual – and I began to regret that I would be leaving the next day. So what is it about Christmas in China? Sure, consumption is a national addiction, as it is in the States, but that’s not it entirely. Part of it, I believe, is Pavlovian. The lights and decorations of Christmas serve as a reminder – consciously and subconsciously – that the Spring Festival is fast approaching. The rest of it is just human. In the darkness and coldness of the winter it’s festive, picking people up a little bit…even if it is a foreign holiday. As for me, holding on to that “foreign” day seemed easier to do with Chinese lanterns and tassels than with the metallic cheerlessness of no stick frying pans and woks.

And so now, here in Boston, Christmas having less emphatically come to an end and – in Nanjing – the Spring Festival about to explode, I can’t help but reflect on my thoughts just before leaving China: that in a more perfect world it would be nice to experience these two seasons more fully instead of only in the fleeting wisps that, these past years, have been the best I can expect. But then I think of the Christmas tree that was waiting for me when I arrived home – with its pine smell and the old ornaments forgotten then remembered and then immediately so familiar – and I think: It’s good to be back.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice essay Matt. Makes celebrating Christmas in two different cultures sound really interesting. Odd, tho, how similar the celebrations are despite the tenuous connection between the two cultures. About the woks and pots and pans replacing the decorations so quickly I remeber years and years ago when the big downtown Boston Dept stores decorated their windows with Christmas themes. On my way to work decided to walk by Jordan's to enjoy the windows again and was disappointed and surprised to see the windows now sporting cruise wear. I guess the point is that for Retail, Christmas is all about anticipated sales followed by Returns so you can see how they are in a hurry to move on. RM

1:49 AM, January 24, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the day after Christmas that the windows were changed to cruise wear. RM

1:51 AM, January 24, 2009  
Blogger bgillin said...

Welcome back, Matt! Joanna and I are in Vermont trying to survive our first east coast winter. We hope to make it down to Boston sometime. If we do, let's go get a cup of coffee or something.

Your Nancai teaching, Bluesky drinking, Nanjing buddy,
-Brandon

8:08 AM, March 01, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

Hello Brandon,

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the welcome but I'm actually back in Nanjing. I didn't mean for my essay to be so ambiguous but I have another friend in the States who also e-mailed me about whether or not I was back permanently. I only returned home for the winter break. Ah, well. Sometimes it's good to keep people guessing. It was really nice to get back for the length of time that I did, though.

Part of that essay was trying to catch the "in-between" feeling that I had about falling between the cracks of the two biggest holiday periods in both America and China. This feeling, I think, is always subconsciously there, but the experience that I wrote about stuck in my mind firmly enough that I started writing it down in one of my notebooks in PuDong Airport and then polished it up and posted it.

Aside from that, you picked a tough winter to start off with. When I was back home, my main activity was shoveling snow. Boston got hit about once a week while I was home (and one disheartening time, twice in twenty-four hours) and I hear that it's going to get it again. Vermont, well...spring is on its way.

The next time the two of us are in the same neck of the woods, I will most definitely take you up on your invitation. Keep in touch.

11:31 AM, March 02, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually ,i was trying to figure out a real Christmas in nanjing too,even though i have never been able to experience a Christmas in US .Christmas Eve ,i was out in the church ,but went back with disappointment
Emma

10:26 PM, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Emma said...

that night i also went to a big mall near Confucious temple , having bought a white coat at a lower price,for it will offer discout during 8to 12 pm on the Christmas Eve!

10:58 PM, March 23, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

Emma,

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. This is often a part of Christmas, too. People don't get the gifts that they want, or they buy a gift for someone that they know won't really be enjoyed. Things are always running behind schedule, leading to intense pressure and fatigue. More importantly, often times people will be disappointed because they're away from their loved ones and homes. So, if I had to qualify Christmas, I'd say that it ranges all the way from happy to sad, no matter where you are. The happiness can be elusive and, when it does come, unexpected.

1:26 PM, March 24, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

Peace of Mind,

That's another big difference between the West and China. By 8PM Christmas Eve, all of the stores will be closed until December 26th.

I was at Fuzi Miao a few nights later doing all of my Christmas shopping for everyone in the States. It had a festive look to it, as it usually does at night. It gave me a little of the old hometown feel.

How's the white coat working out for you?

1:31 PM, March 24, 2009  
Blogger Emma said...

oh ,it is the most expensive coat i have ever bought ,mostly, out of compulsion . however ,i only wear it once , i hang on the rack ,feeling happy when i see it .it seems i enjoy waching it more than wearing it

8:25 PM, March 24, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

I have a white tie with small, dark polka dots that, to this day, I've never worn. When I'm back in Boston, however, I check it out on my tie rack. Nice tie. I think I'm afraid of spilling something on it.

10:50 PM, March 24, 2009  
Blogger Emma said...

then why did you buy it , i mean ,it isnt like girls buying clothes, you buy shirts first ,then tie .so what shirts go with white tie? pink?....i have known a lot of boys in my high shcool like to wear pink shirts,which seems to be a fashion!

9:41 PM, March 25, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

I bought it because it was there. And because I like polka dots. And because it was just a good looking tie. Filene's Basement (back when it was still open) used to have a great collection hanging on a wall near the escalators and they normally didn't cost all that much. Sometimes, if I was passing through Downtown Crossing, I'd stop in and take a look. One day I did, saw this tie, and bought it.

As far as the pink shirt goes, I never really thought about it - it seems like it might be pretty loud. Whatever. If I ever end up wearing that tie, I'm sure I'll find something that works out okay.

By the way, what do you think of the photos?

7:29 PM, March 26, 2009  
Blogger Emma said...

nice photo.with those cards carrying good wishes for the coming year rather than shining ornaments ,it reflects a more meaningful prospects .also,it reminds me of the golden artificial tree in Fuzi Miao, with red ribbons carrying people's hopes . the lady is reading it , willing to know what other people think , the important things in their life , great way to share . i like the photo!

9:30 PM, March 26, 2009  
Blogger Matt said...

I really like that Fuzi Miao tree. Every time I'd see it I'd wish that I had some high saturation color film in my camera.

I'm glad you like the Christmas Eve photo. I've taken so many photos at the church that are underdeveloped or unremarkable that I was really surprised to get this one, which I think is pretty good at getting the feel of one aspect of Midnight Mass at the Shigu Lu Cathedral.

I don't know how many other photos you've seen from The China Gate, but if you haven't, there's a link on the right border that will take you to Glimpses from the Gate. This is the photo section of the blog. While I don't have all that many photos there, for most I give brief explanations of how and why they were taken. Maybe you'll see some that you like.

7:47 PM, March 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home