Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last week, I saw the show Prison Break for the first time. I had assiduously tried to avoid this, as I have so far done with 24 and, amazingly as I think about it, with the entire run of Friends but, for my final exams, I allowed each testing group to pick its own discussion topic and one of them chose “Why I Like Prison Break”, with the pilot episode as a common sample for us to use.

An extremely popular show here in China – at least with university students – I’ve been hearing about Prison Break since it first aired in the United States, so it was easy to find a DVD in one of the local shops. Watching it the night before these students’ exams, it was everything that I thought it would be: intricate in plot, occasionally violent in deed and always violent in feel, gray in appearance and acting, and more unbelievable than one of the Brothers Grimm’s wildest fairy tales. And yet…I damned near watched Episode 2 right after Episode 1 had finished. I stopped myself – I’d had some things to do – but, like a bad drug, the show had done its best to hook me.

My burning question for my students was whether or not they found this show to be at all believable. To varying degrees, they both had.

In the United States, when the majority of adult TV viewers (at least I hope to God it’s the majority of adult TV viewers, but I don’t know…I’m just trying to be optimistic here) tune in to a show, we do so with a set of societal information that enables us to separate the plausible from the implausible from the laughably implausible. We can still suspend belief, but then, when the show’s over, it’s back to reality for everyone. The problem here in China is that these viewers don’t have this same societal information: they don’t know what reality is in the United States and this stuff fills the void.

Honestly, I haven’t seen or heard of any ugly instances resulting from this – no Fox inspired examples of misguided gung-hoism from Chinese ex-pats in the States – but it still can’t be good to be that far-off in your image of something. Or maybe it doesn’t really matter. Before I came to China, I thought, aside from Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, there wasn’t much. So when I first visited Hangzhou and saw that it had a nice public bus system, I was quite taken aback. But I survived this shock…and others.

Still, this lack of information sometimes makes me uneasy. When The DaVinci Code was all the rage here, I ended up watching it and thought that it was terrible and slightly worrying; there was one particular character, some scary, vacant looking albino monk who goes around doing some pretty nutty things and, in one scene, strips naked and beats himself bloody with some sort of cat o’ nine tails after tightening some barbed wire leg garter into his thigh. China is not that Christian and, according to the small number of local Christians that I’ve spoken to, Catholics aren’t either. Watching this film, I thought that this might be further bad news for the cause. I mean, a self-flagellating religious fanatic psycho paleface as some sort of reference point? I don’t know. And the thing about China is that, in most cases like this, I never will: judgment passed here is usually quick, silent, and final. Right or wrong? Well, that’s of secondary importance, if any.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting essay. Your comments are right on target as I do believe that in the US and likely in China as well the media, particularly TV and the movies, lead in forming current perceptions and style rather than vice-versa, The media has enormous and often manipulative influence on how we think and what we believe. Witness Fox News and the rash of military oriented entertainment on TV and the US' not so subtle turn to the Right. Nice article. RM

1:54 AM, June 29, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello mistah Matt, I actually was a big fan of Prison Break for the first couple of seasons, not because I thought that it was "reality" so to speak but because I found it entertaining. I know that that type of show as well as any other show are built for ratings and also have a target audience that they try to please so thinking that you can get thrown in the big house and can manipulate all of your surroundings like they did is almost comical but in a way it is an escape. All of us have felt at one time or another that they have been trapped in some sort of prison and had to fight their way out so that is how people can escape and looking at the variety of characters in the show you try to relate to one. I see your point on your essay which I truly enjoyed reading and hope to see more like this soon and maybe we can pick out another popular show over there and have our own discussion on topic.

"The Critic"

8:16 AM, July 17, 2010  
Blogger Matt said...

To "The Critic",

I was also hooked into the show almost immediately - not only wondering what would happen next but also wondering just how much more unbelievable it was all going to get. This is all fine with me; I like escapism, I just don't usually expect to find it - unless it's literal - in a prison show. In this way, the show (at least the first episode) was a pleasant departure...something tells me that it was probably a lot less nasty than, say "Oz" might be.

"The DaVinci Code" was the same way for me. I thought it was totally out there and entirely unconvincing, but I can see how it became so popular, allowing people's imaginations to run wild.

I'm also glad you got my basic point, that in the States, we have our social references to keep us grounded in reality, while here in China - a radically separate and still relatively isolated culture - these movies and shows become the reality for those who might not have had any other exposure to our own culture.

Of course, this does work work the other way, too.

Thanks a lot for reading. I'll try to put something else thought provoking up here sometime soon.

12:55 AM, July 25, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt - I am not a fan of Fox induced drivel and did not see more than one episode of PB. I do agree that if you do not have the society's context in mind when watching something you are at a loss. Take the Benny Hill series and Mr. Bean....not really funny if you are not from the UK.

4:32 AM, August 13, 2010  
Blogger Matt said...

Not to knock what you're saying, but I have to be honest: I happened to see a clip of the Benny Hill Show riding on one of the Nanjing city buses, of all places (many have TV's on them) and found myself laughing out loud. Since first seeing his show when I was a kid, I've thought that he was hilariously funny. Aside from that, I think we're in agreement.

8:15 PM, August 15, 2010  
Blogger Sylvia said...

(ohh Benny Hill... was that ever funny? but anyhow...) Matt, I just checked out your blog again... to be honest, I don't think there is much difference between Chinese and people in any other parts of the world. What do most people think of China? Now they read a lot about the country, but mostly very one sided. And they don't have real reference either. I guess that we over here too are often very quick with our judgments, also quick, silent and final. For example there's another awful stupid and embarrassing initiative (don't know if this is the correct English term) that our super right-wing party got together. It's simply based on creating more fear of foreigners and thus get more votes... people who will vote yes also have made their fixed judgments without thinking and getting more reference... just a thought... looking forward to reading more and seeing those pics!!! greeeezzzz S*

2:35 AM, October 28, 2010  
Blogger Sylvia said...

(ohh Benny Hill... was that ever funny? but anyhow...) Matt, I just checked out your blog again... to be honest, I don't think there is much difference between Chinese and people in any other parts of the world. What do most people think of China? Now they read a lot about the country, but mostly very one sided. And they don't have real reference either. I guess that we over here too are often very quick with our judgments, also quick, silent and final. For example there's another awful stupid and embarrassing initiative (don't know if this is the correct English term) that our super right-wing party got together. It's simply based on creating more fear of foreigners and thus get more votes... people who will vote yes also have made their fixed judgments without thinking and getting more reference... just a thought... (and to let you know that I'm reading...hehe...) looking forward to reading more and seeing those pics!!! greeeezzzz S*

2:35 AM, October 28, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any news blogs on the horizon?

9:21 AM, January 20, 2011  
Anonymous Toronto Airport Taxi said...

great essay, you have given more detail of this China Gate. i wish that in near future i can see it

Toronto Airport Taxi

6:33 PM, January 17, 2012  
Blogger Matt said...

Hello Toronto Airport Taxi,

Thanks. Well, The China Gate is a special place - it's a large gate/small fort in the southern section of Nanjing's city wall. I took the name of my blog from that...I posted a blog about it way back on October 28th, 2006.

The Nanjing City Wall is considered one of the three "great walls" of China, along with The Great Wall and the city wall of Xi'an. It's a real identifying feature of Nanjing and is, I think, beloved (although possibly somewhat taken for granted) by the people who call the city home.

If you ever visit Nanjing, try to make a little time to climb up and take a stroll; you will have experienced an important part of what Nanjing is.

6:50 AM, January 28, 2012  
Anonymous Toronto Airport Transportation said...

good to see you blog after so long. so good luck and keep sharing more articles with us

Toronto Airport Transportation

5:48 PM, February 01, 2012  
Anonymous E-Clinical said...

Hi, thanks for sharing this blog, it as loads of useful and helpful info

E-Clinical

12:49 AM, February 15, 2012  
Blogger Matt said...

Hello E-Clinical,

Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoy the blog.

10:57 PM, March 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home