Sunday, December 24, 2006

While preparing my last lesson plan of the semester, a comparison of the United States and China, I found that, according to the CIA World Factbook, the area of the USA is, surprisingly (at least to me), a little bit larger than that of the PRC. The next day, I tried this plan on my least favorite class, a group with enough apathetic and rude students to make things tense. Opening with, “Which country’s larger, China or the US?” I received my most enthusiastic reply of the semester, “China!!!” I followed up by asking in which way it was larger, population or area. “Both!!!” Putting the populations on the board, I then wrote down the areas and stepped back. I heard the reaction before I saw it: gasps, followed by a few hushed, hopeless whispers of “No!!!” Faces had lost color. Mouths were hanging open. Brains were overloading. I’d hit home and it hurt. “Ha!!! Haaaa!!!!! MY country’s BIGGER than yours!!!!!” With each blast that I unleashed, eyes blinked and dazed faces involuntarily snapped back. It was as if they’d been told that their families had died horrible and unexpected deaths. They were silent, but in a deep way, trying and failing to make sense of what I’d told them. In all of my subsequent classes, despite radically softening what I had to say, I saw variations of that same theme: shock and dismay. Was my students’ behavior nationalism? I thought so, until having a discussion with my friend from Iowa. Recounting my classroom experience, I then began to disgustedly complain about what I considered to be the nationalist shift in the United States in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. I chose as a symbolic example the dramatically increased use of American flags, both by a presidential administration that I consider to be a stain on the country and its good name and also by the general public in my region of it. In reply, he very reasonably told me that, after the attacks, he himself had put a flag pin on his book bag to show support. “Was that nationalism?” he asked. I said something about knowing who we are without having to wear it on our clothes, and then brought forward my guess that residents of his hometown might be more apt to have flagpoles in their front yards than those in mine (which he agreed with). But I knew that he wasn’t satisfied with my response. And privately, I wasn’t either. I realized that I, in fact, didn’t have a good answer to his question and had thrown those out to him to hide this. Over the next days I kept going back to my students’ reactions and my friend’s response to my frustrated ranting and asked myself: What is nationalism? I know that I experienced it in my country and I know that I’m experiencing it here right now. But what, exactly, is my definition of it? My dictionary didn’t really help so I was left to reflect on my own observations both here and at home: candlelight vigils, “freedom” fries, disturbing conversations regarding civil rights, the Chinese national anthem playing on bus sound systems and during TV commercial breaks, a foot massage lady with a scant handful of English words knowing enough to scream “Monkey!” when she sees a picture of George W. Bush, and gasping students who should have more important things to worry about than national square area comparisons. And so now, after much thought, I finally have a definition that I’m not totally dissatisfied with.

Nationalism: Exploitation of the masses’ essentially good (patriotic) intentions by the few in power (or seriously aspiring to it) in the interest of their own debatable intentions.

That’s the best I can do for now. I’ll see what my friend from Iowa thinks.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting observation on Nationalism. While I have never thought of myself as patriotic or nationalistic I find that when I travel abroad I become more possessive and defensive of "my country" while when at home I feel quite free to criticise its very real or perceived faults and excesses. So I guess that's a sort of a-la-carte nationalism. RM

2:17 AM, December 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a problem with the definition you provide at the end of the post. Nationalism is by no means a purely top-down phenomenon, and I don't necessarily agree that it is always so cynically used by those in power. Of course there are countless examples of exactly this (although certainly debatable), whether it's Maggie Thatcher and the Falklands or George W. Bush post-9/11. But along with this is something that all of us have from when we're schoolchildren...that natural love of country and the feeling that where we are from is the best place on earth. Maybe some of this comes from the state via textbooks and flag pledges, but I think Matt gives politicians too much credit for their alleged ability to trick us into flag-waving, chest-beating nationalism, with the end-goal being to curry favor for themselves. So in sum, I would separate the two parts to your definition so that the "good intentions" of the people are not just something that is exploited by the powerful and actually in some cases, dare I say, might be a good thing!

-Jiefu

7:28 PM, December 28, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

RM, in reading your comment, I get the impression that you think that my classroom put-down was an example of my own heightened possessiveness/defensiveness of the USA. This really wasn't the case. I couldn't care less about the USA's total area in relation to China's and think that it was silly for my students to be so bothered by such an essentially meaningless statistic; the two countries are more or less the same size with quite a few similarities. This, in fact, was the underlying theme of that particular lesson plan. I was, however, extremely satisfied to get under the skin of a class that had been gettting under mine all semester. And as unprofessional as this may be, that's all I was trying to do with my "in your face" comments. This just presented me with an unexpected opportunity to do so.

5:12 PM, December 31, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

Jiefu, I agree with your comment, but the problem is with our definitions of nationalism and patriotism. My dictionary wasn’t helpful because it gives them almost the same meaning, and I just don’t agree. After presenting the lesson from my essay, I thought that my students’ behavior was nationalistic. It was only after my conversation and some reflection that I changed my mind. Many of us do have a natural love of country, wherever we’re from. This, to me, is patriotism and I associate it with the kind of unconditional, selfless love that someone might have for his or her family. Sometimes it’s irrational and misguided, but essentially it’s positive. I believe that my students were acting in this way, and I cannot fault it. Nationalism, on the other hand, is not the same. I look at it as agenda driven patriotism: love of country, but with something to gain from it. You may be right in the absolute sense to say that nationalism is not necessarily always a top-down phenomenon, but in a relative sense, I would argue that it is. At no matter what level (national government, political movement, special interest group, etcetera), there is always someone, or some clique, with a plan leading followers towards a goal. You, I, or anyone else may have a love of country as familiar, unnoticed, and integral to us as our heartbeats and, given the right circumstances, be fired up and moved in a unified direction precisely because of this patriotic feeling. Whether this direction is good or bad is debatable, but somebody has to start the fire. In order to make it big enough and effective enough, the motivator usually has to be in a powerful position. An individual patriot can be caught up in nationalist machinery and still remain only that, a patriot, while the architects of that machinery are nationalists. Again, let me make clear that I don’t think that nationalism is always good or bad, but I do think that patriotism is essentially good.

1:08 PM, January 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose I don't separate these two terms as much...anyways, interesting take on it. I think what happened in your classroom is something that any foreign teacher in China (read foreign expert) has witnessed. Makes us Americans a bit more grateful for old Seward's folly that now we can taunt the Chinese about land area! Happy New Year Matt and looking forward to the 2007 edition of the China Gate.

1:12 AM, January 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thought ... patriotism derives from patriot, an individual, whereas nationalism derives from nation (country. From that you might surmise that patriotism reflects personal pride whereas nationalism tends to imply a general view as a nation. Ergo, one can certainly have a patriotic feeling toward one's country w/o always buying into its policies as a nation. RM

4:15 AM, January 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't like those so called nationalists but utterly ignorant of the headstream which gives them power to feel proud. I think such situation partly resulted from political constraint as well as the unilateral education. From little kids to adults, we are educated to love our motherland, to protect it unhesitatingly. In addition, the only aim and mission of any generation is to realize great renaissance, that is, recover the status as it is in Tang Dynasty. In fact, that's also the common goal of all nations. (Or Bush would not invade Iraq)
Oh, seems like my words are a bit ultra. I just express my attitude about this topic and hope to exchange opinions with you. (crane)

10:05 AM, January 26, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Hi Crane. I'm a little unclear about your reference to renaissance and the Tang Dynasty. Could you explain a little more?

4:55 PM, January 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(This is crane)
The Tang Dynasty was and is the peak period in Chinese long history, and its prestigious worldwide standing and important influence at that time were and are the common struggling goals of every emperor all through the ages. That is, Tang has set a good example of a flourishing and prosperous nation to later rulers. However, none of them have realized this great aim. That's why I mentioned "renaissance" here. Maybe I didn't express it clearly, my point is, we Chinese kids are born to undertake the great mission of rebuilding a "Tang Dynasty" and hold the belief that our nation was and will be the best. As I understand, it's also one of the basic ethos of nationalists.
It is hoped that above explanation could clarify my viewpoint.
Here is a good website:
http://www.chinaebooks.org/en/index.asp?sortid=3

12:39 AM, January 28, 2007  
Blogger Matt said...

Hi Crane. When you say that you, as Chinese citizens, are born to undertake this mission, how and when do you find this out? Are you taught this in school, told this by your parents, or is it just something that is implicitly understood? In the States, I don’t think that we have any sort of formalized policy to strive for a tangible national goal, although, when I was in grade school, we were taught to salute the flag, recite the pledge of allegiance, sing patriotic songs, etcetera: in short, we were taught to love our country.

Responding to your earlier comment, which mentioned the invasion of Iraq, I'm not sure if the same principle is at work. There are lots of different arguments, ranging from cynical to naive, for what happened, but the US was already riding pretty high in terms of being a world power beforehand and not really in need of a renaissance. As a matter of fact, it has probably lost some of its standing because of the way things have unfolded, and are continuing to unfold, in that part of the world.

In any case, I’d never heard about the Tang Dynasty renaissance and think that it’s pretty interesting. Thanks for sending me the web address.

3:58 AM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home