Sunday, March 26, 2006

This morning, I had to go to the little convenience store just outside the side gate of my university. It’s a typical little Mom & Pop place similar to the kind you can sometimes, although rarely now, see in the United States. It’s a relatively dark, narrow space with an open entrance that has a Coke fridge to the right, as you walk in, and a little cooking area for snacks (boiled eggs, kebabs, etc.) on the left. Inside, the shelves, stacked with everything from báijiŭ (Chinese white lightning) to instant noodles to potato chips to beer to Halls mentholated tablets, rise over the two aisles, creating a shadowy, claustrophobic effect and the vague but very real fear that you might send the whole place crashing down if you reach for the wrong roll of toilet paper. Mom is usually making snacks, and Dad is usually lingering near the cash register that sits on the tiny counter near the fridge. Their little boy is also there, probably about two years old. Whenever he sees me, he tries out some of his new vocabulary. Last time, it was “Lăowài!” I’ll attempt to say something witty and clever in reply, but this is not easy. Today, for instance, when he saw me, pointed, and exclaimed “Wàiguórén!” (Foreigner!), I pointed at him and said, “Zhōngguórén!” (Chinese person!) It was good for a polite laugh from his parents and another customer, but that’s about the best that I could do. Such are some of the pitfalls of living in a non-English speaking country while possessing deficient language skills. I am trying to learn some Pŭtōnghuà, and I’m more or less pleased with my progress and attitude, but it is slow going and, after all, daily life does happen on a daily basis. I am pretty good at picking up Chinese numbers, though. As anyone who has spent time (even a few days) in a foreign country will tell you, learning the numbers makes life a whole lot easier. They’re everywhere because cash transactions are everywhere. Not everyone will have a calculator at hand to type out how much something costs, and besides, the whole experience makes you feel like a powerless child: a dose, however small, of self-respect is lost in the process. If I was a tourist, I could laugh it off. But I’m not. And the numbers aren’t so hard to handle, so I learned them. Going to the front to pay for my goods, the boss lady went behind the counter and, asking the boss man for a price-check, tallied everything up in her head. “Shísì kuài wŭ qián.” (¥14.50) I handed over a ten and a five and she put it in the register. She gave me back a five máo coin, which I expected, and the five kuai bill that I’d just handed her, which I didn’t. I was puzzled…I mustn’t have heard her right. I stepped out to the street…I know I heard her right…she gave me too much change. I went back in and realized that I hadn’t yet learned the word for “give”. I wanted to tell her that I’d given her fifteen kuai, not twenty, but all I could tentatively put together was “Nĭ yŏu shíwŭ kuài.” (You have fifteen kuai.) as I pointed at the cash register. She said something as she pointed at the coin she’d given me, which I was still holding with the five kuai. I implicitly understood what she was saying. She thought that I was complaining about being shortchanged-what I was trying to tell her just mustn’t have registered. If you want to argue with a Chinese woman, especially a shopkeeper’s wife, about money, you may as well just save your breath because you’re going to lose every time. It doesn’t matter that you’re trying to give money back-all decisions are final. I took my things, and my unexpected change, and went back into the street. I kept telling myself that I must have heard her wrong. But I know that I heard her right. To me, here and now, that’s much more important than the money.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1: I have seen those convenience stores you mentioned in some other foreign countries too, I recall having been such place when I was a child in my country (thanks for reminded me), I alway amazed how these folks handle it so well, probably because this is one of their survival skills while they are in such a small space.
2: Always not so easy to learn a foreign language, especially you don't have much study, but if you have a great guide, and you are not afraid to speak then you will learn it eventually. I am a ESL, so I know how you feel now. just keep it up and you eventually will get it.
3: Some Chinese people are good at calculating without using any counting tools. However, I was lost and confused when I read that "15 kuai" story, I thought you said you paid a ten and a five to the boss lady, which is 15 kuai is it right, and she gave you change for five mao coin, it looked right to me, unless you wrote it wrong or I read it incorrectly. Is it what you heard "Shisi kuai wu qian" or "Shisi kuai wu mao qian"??

8:18 AM, March 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting story that reminds me of a time when mom & pop stores were very often the main staple of a neighborhood. I would bet on mom getting the price correct.

12:07 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:04 PM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

I know that I am responding to these an extremely long time after they were first posted, but I wanted to respond. In re-reading my entry, I gave the boss lady a ten and a five to pay for what I heard as 14.50. She gave me back a five mao coin (the equivalent of a fifty cent piece) AND the five yuan note I'd given her. As I remember it, I stepped out of the shop thinking that she'd given me too much change and went back in. There was a lot of hand waving and explaining on her part and I ended up leaving there with five kuai more than I thought I would. In response to the other comment, to bet on Mom getting the price right would be wise, but I really did think that she'd said 14.50.

2:45 PM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

Administrative Note: the deleted comment from April 11th, 2006 listed an incorrect e-mail address for The China Gate. Its correct e-mail address is the_china_gate@yahoo.com.

2:54 PM, October 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Matt, It's nice to read your blog. But the letter is too small and. Can you make it bigger for the sake of a "Consumer Right"?

10:45 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. I'll try to figure out how increase the size of the lettering, but no guarantees.

11:09 AM, October 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home